Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Healthy and tasty recipe with an Italian flare. From Huffington Post, which introduces it saying that , "The restaurant at Abruzzo's Sextantio hotel serves centuries-old recipes like this simple dish of layered summer vegetables." Could be either a main or side dish.
- olive oil, extra vigin, for drizzling
- 1⁄2 lb yukon gold potato, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- salt, to taste
- pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- 1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 lb plum tomato, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 zucchini, small (1/2 pound)
- 3 tablespoons parmigiano-reggiano cheese, freshly grated
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Coat a 9-inch baking dish with olive oil. Spread the potatoes in the dish in an even layer; drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper. In a bowl, combine the bell pepper, onion, garlic and thyme and season with salt and pepper. Arrange two-thirds of the bell pepper mixture over the potatoes and drizzle with oil. Top with the tomatoes and the zucchini; drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper. Cover with the remaining bell pepper mixture and sprinkle with the cheese.
- Cover the casserole with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Increase the oven temperature to 425°. Uncover the casserole and bake for about 20 minutes longer, until the vegetables are tender and glazed on top. Let stand for 10 minutes. Serve warm.