Recipe by Awsome Sammy's Cookies
This success of this soup depends on having ripe, full-flavored tomatoes, such as an oval plum variety, so make this when the tomato season is at peak.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 1⁄4 lbs ripe tomatoes, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme or 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 -5 sprigs fresh marjoram or 1⁄4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons creme fraiche, sour cream or 3 tablespoons plain yogurt, plus a little extra to garnish
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the olive oil in a large, preferably stainless-steel, saucepan or flameproof casserole.
- Add the onion and carrot and cook over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes until just soft, stirring occasionally.
- Add the quartered tomatoes, chopped garlic, and herbs. Lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaf. Strain the soup. Stir in the cream or yogurt and season. Leave to cool, then chill in the refrigerator.