Recipe by Sherri at the Beach
I created this dish last summer when we had such wonderful tomatoes coming out of our ears. This is fresh, colorful, and tasty. Serve as an appetizer course, side dish, or as a lunch course by adding some cooked shrimp or chicken. Prep time includes allowing the salsa to sit for 30 minutes.
- 4 ear fresh corn on the cob
- 1 lime
- 59.14 ml fresh cilantro, chopped fine
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 small red pepper, chopped
- 4.92 ml cumin
- 4 red ripe tomatoes (the bigger the better)
- 4.92 ml salt
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the salsa: Cut corn from the cob and place in a mixing bowl.
- Zest the lime into corn, then juice it as well and stir into the corn.
- Add in cilantro, olive oil, red onion, red pepper and cumin. Stir and allow to sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes to allow flavors to develop.
- Cut each tomato almost all the way through into eights. Place each on a plate and open tomato to make a large flower.
- Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon salt on each tomato.
- Place 1/4 of the salsa into the center of each tomato. Serve room temperature
- If you want to make a full meal of this, add 1 cup grilled or broiled chicken or shrimp seasoned with olive oil and garlic.