Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Wonderful pasta dish my family loves.
- 2 1⁄4 cups dried penne
- 1 lb plum tomato
- 10 ounces mozzarella cheese, drained
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 grated lemon, juice and zest of
- 15 fresh basil leaves, shredded
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- fresh basil leaf (to garnish)
- Cook the pasta in boiling salted water, according to the package instructions, until just tender.
- While the pasta is cooking, quarter the tomatoes and remove the seeds, the chop the flesh into small cubes.
- Slice the mozzarella into similar-size pieces.
- Mix together the balsamic vinegar, grated lemon zest, 1 tbs.
- of the lemon juice and the basil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the tomatoes and mozzarella and let stand until the pasta is cooked.
- Drain the pasta and toss with the tomato mixture.
- Serve immediately, garnish with fresh basil leaves, if desired.
This is a great recipe when you are after something light and easy. Don't just use any old vinegar - the balsamic vinegar is one of the things that makes the dish. I used lime juice as I always have fresh limes available rather than lemons and that gives it a really refreshing touch. Another great recipe Basia!