Recipe by French Tart
A delightful and very elegant summer starter dish that is fresh and easy to make. The combination of the parmesan cheese with the hazenut oil and black olives is a very sophisticated flavour, making this a wonderful dish to serve before any special summer dinner party. If you cannot get hold of hazelnut oil, walnut oil would be a good substitute. Green olives can also be used, but the colours will not be so dramatic! Try to use FRESHLY grated/shaved parmesan cheese from a block, the taste is far better than the pre-packed grated cheese. Wine suggestion - a chilled Chablis or Chardonnay.
Top Review by Tisme
A tribute recipe to my my last surviving homegrown zucchini of the season! Wonderful recipe, and using the marinading option is wonderful. Takes a little longer but well worth the effort! Served with fresh crusty bread this is a superb recipe and well worth the effort. Although I only had frozen shaved parmesan on hand and next time I would like to use it freshly shaved from the block as suggested. This recipe will be certainly saved for next succhini season. Thanks FT great recipe.
- 3 -4 small hard courgettes (zucchini)
- 100 g parmesan cheese, fresh shavings
- 30 g pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or 2 tablespoons of hazelnut or walnut oil)
- 1 tablespoon hazelnut oil (or walnut oil)
- 12 pitted black olives
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh parsley
- pink peppercorns
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the courgettes, dry them in kitchen paper, cut off the ends, slice them as thinly as possible and arrange them in layers on a plate. Or, you can peel them into long strips with a potato peeler, vegetable peeler, or a mandolin.
- Pour the both types of oil evenly over the courgettes. Thinly slice the parmesan into shavings and spread over the courgettes. Sprinkle the pine nuts, black olives, a few crushed pink peppercorns ver the top and season to tate with salt and black pepper.
- Wash, dry and finely snip the parsley; sprinkle over the courgettes and serve immediately with fresh crusty bread.
- TIP: The same recipe can be prepared in the following way: leave the courgette slices to marinate in a mix of olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, chives, salt and pepper for 12 hours.
- When it's time to serve, drain the courgette slices, place them on individual plates and finish with a garnish of parmesan, pine nuts and black olives.