Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
If serving as an entrée, add cooked chick peas or kidney beans to the salad.
- 8 ounces farfalle pasta
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 8 ounces small shell pasta
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup broccoli floret
- 1 orange, juice and zest of
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- salt, to taste
- cayenne, to taste
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup cauliflower, see note
- 1⁄4 cup sunflower seeds
- Cook the farfalle until it is al dente, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- While the farfalle is cooking, add turmeric to the water to turn pasta a bright yellow color.
- Cook the pasta shells in a separate pot of boiling salted water until it is al dente, about 8 minutes.
- Drain both rinsing in cold water. Place in a large bowl, toss with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan of boiling salted water, blanch the broccoli until bright green, about 30 seconds. Drain and rinse under cold running water and add to the pasta. You may also do the same for the cauliflower but it will NOT turn bright green no matter how hard you try.
- In a small bowl, combine the orange juice and zest, the lemon juice, and salt and cayenne to taste.
- Whisk in olive oil until blended, then pour dressing over pasta. Add the veggies and chickpeas if using and toss to combine. Sprinkle on sunflower seeds.
- Note: you can omit the cauliflower and use all broccoli.