Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
A delicious way to prepare all of those summer squash from your garden you don't know what to do with! We got this recipe from "Simply in Season", a Mennonite cookbook featuring recipes for every season of the year. We added chicken to make it a complete meal instead of a side dish.
- 2 lbs chicken
- 4 cups summer squash (yellow or patty pan)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil (chopped)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup cheese (shredded) (optional)
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces and saute for about 4-5 minutes with 1 tablespoon oil.
- Add summer squash with onion, salt and pepper, and one more tablespoon oil until tender (time will depend on the size of the pieces).
- Remove chicken, set aside.
- Add the green pepper and herbs to the squash, cover, and steam until tender. Top with cheese just before serving.