Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Originally a Fine Cooking recipe, this was pointed out to me by Mean Chef and Shelly. It is a fabulous salad that has great presentation. Would be excellent as a side to salmon.
- 1 garlic clove
- kosher salt
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 lb summer squash (Yellow, Zucchini or a mix)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 cups baby arugula, loosely packed
- 1⁄2 cup Italian parsley
- 1⁄2 cup chives, cut into 1/2 inch lengths
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1⁄4 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, finely grated, plus a chunk to shave for garnish
- Mash garlic to a paste with a pinch of salt, put in a small bowl and whisk in lemon juice. Let sit for 10 minutes and then whisk in olive oil.
- Using a mandoline or sharp chef's knife, cut squash into very thin ovals (1/16 inch thick). Put into a medium bowl and toss with 2/3 of the vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine Arugula, parsley, chives and capers in a separate bowl, season with salt and pepper, and toss with just enough vinaigrette to lightly coat.
- Layer about 1/3 of squash in a shallow bowl or platter, scatter 1/3 of arugula mixture on top and sprinkle with 1/3 of the grated Parmesan. Repeat layering two more times.
- For garnish, shave long strips of Parmesan with a vegetable peeler onto the salad. Serve immediately.
I grew up on this minus the arugula. I like it even better as a "salad". 27* recipe.
Excellent salad! Served this before pizza margherita last night and it was loved by all. I used a zyliss shaver to slice the zucchini into very thin strips, and the result was stunning. Thanks for posting!