Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This can be made all year round, a great side for any meat. Points...7.
Make and share this Summer Squash & Rice Gratin recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus about
- 1⁄2 teaspoon olive oil, for the baking dish
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 lbs zucchini or 2 lbs yellow squash, finely diced (or a mixture)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or put through a press
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 large eggs
- 2 ounces gruyere cheese, grated (1/2 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup long-grain rice or 1⁄2 cup medium grain rice or 1⁄2 cup arborio rice, cooked and cooled (Italian short-grain)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs, fresh or dry
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Brush a 2-quart gratin dish or shallow baking dish, such as a 13-by-9-inch Pyrex dish, with 1/2 tsp.
- olive oil and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp.
- of the oil over medium heat in a large, heavy non-stick skillet and add the onion.
- Cook, stirring, until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the squash, garlic, salt and pepper, and cook, stirring often, for 8 to 10 minutes, until the squash is tender but not mushy.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl.
- Stir in the squash and onions, the cheese, rice, parsley and thyme.
- Taste and add more salt and pepper, if desired.
- Transfer to the baking dish.
- Sprinkle the bread crumbs over the top and drizzle with the remaining oil.
- Bake 45 minutes, until firm and browned on the top.
- Remove from the heat and cool on a rack.
- Serve warm or cold.
- Advance preparation: This can be made a day ahead of time and held in the refrigerator, tightly wrapped.
This was delicious! I didn't have time to snap a picture before the family ate it up. We loved the breadcrumbs on top and the mushy texture in the gratin. My favorite gratin dish yet. Thank you for sharing, Dancer^!