1 hr 15 mins
This can be made all year round, a great side for any meat. Points...7.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus about
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil, for the baking dish
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 lbs zucchini or 2 lbs yellow squash, finely diced (or a mixture)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or put through a press
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 large eggs
- 2 ounces gruyere cheese, grated (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup long-grain rice or 1/2 cup medium grain rice or 1/2 cup arborio rice, cooked and cooled (Italian short-grain)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs, fresh or dry
- 1Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- 2Brush a 2-quart gratin dish or shallow baking dish, such as a 13-by-9-inch Pyrex dish, with 1/2 tsp.
- 3olive oil and set aside.
- 4Heat 1 tbsp.
- 5of the oil over medium heat in a large, heavy non-stick skillet and add the onion.
- 6Cook, stirring, until tender, about 5 minutes.
- 7Add the squash, garlic, salt and pepper, and cook, stirring often, for 8 to 10 minutes, until the squash is tender but not mushy.
- 8Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- 9Beat the eggs in a bowl.
- 10Stir in the squash and onions, the cheese, rice, parsley and thyme.
- 11Taste and add more salt and pepper, if desired.
- 12Transfer to the baking dish.
- 13Sprinkle the bread crumbs over the top and drizzle with the remaining oil.
- 14Bake 45 minutes, until firm and browned on the top.
- 15Remove from the heat and cool on a rack.
- 16Serve warm or cold.
- 17Advance preparation: This can be made a day ahead of time and held in the refrigerator, tightly wrapped.
Browse Our Top Long-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Long-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Summer Squash & Rice Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (172 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 236.8
- Calories from Fat 112
- Total Fat 12.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 80.9 mg
- Sodium 109.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 8.8 g