Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a great early late-June or early-July recipe using some of the first of the summer squash and Thai basil.
- 2 cups squash, diced (1 medium large)
- 1 1⁄2 cups vidalia onions, diced (1 medium to large)
- 1⁄2 cup bell pepper, any color, diced (1 large)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh ginger, grated
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 cup Thai basil (finely chopped after measuring)
- Mix all ingredients together except for Thai basil and boil for 20 minutes. Add Thai basil, and boil for 10 additional minutes.
- Place in jars and seal. May be put in hot water bath for 10 minutes to help seal.
- Serve on hotdogs, substitute for regular pickle relish in potato salads, etc.
Followed your recipe right on down when making this relish, & used a red bell pepper for the color! Ended up dividing it among four 6-ounce containers, although I didn't actually can it, as such! Three of the containers were gifted to a neighbor couple & two other friends about a week ago, & feedback indicates this is a truly satisfying & tasty relish! Many thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this fall's round of Pick A Chef]