Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
This pastry is easy to make, especially in a food processor, and rather than being rolled, it is patted into place. Serve this with a salad for a light supper or cut into thin slivers to serve as party hors d’oeuvres.
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces, 3/4 stick
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- 1 large egg yolk
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, 3/4 pound
- 6 green onions, white part and 1 inch green tops, thinly sliced, 3/4 cup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- salt, to taste (optional)
- fresh ground black pepper (optional)
- 1 medium zucchini, trimmed and thinly sliced, 1 1/2 cups
- 1 medium summer squash, trimmed and thinly sliced, 1 1/2 cups
- 1 (3 ounce) can French-fried onions
- TO MAKE PASTRY BY HAND: In a medium bowl, mix flour and salt. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk together water and egg yolk. Add to flour mixture and stir with a fork until flour clumps together to form a dough.
- TO MAKE PASTRY IN A FOOD PROCESSOR: Place flour and salt in food processor and process for 1 second. Add butter and pulse on/off until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk together water and egg yolk. With motor running, add egg mixture through feed tube and process just until dough leaves side of bowl and forms a ball.
- Gather dough into a ball and flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic and chill for 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°F Pat dough into bottom and up sides of a 10 inch deep dish pie pan or quiche pan. Crimp pastry edges. Line pastry shell with aluminum foil and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil and weights. Bake 10 minutes more. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack.
- TO MAKE FILLING: In a large bowl, whisk eggs until frothy. Whisk in sour cream. Stir in cheese, green onions, hot pepper sauce, salt, if desired, and pepper. Set aside.
- Arrange zucchini slices alternating with yellow squash slices overlapping in concentric circles over bottom of cooled pie shell. Pour egg mixture over squash. Top with onions.
- Bake, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes, until mixture is set and top is browned. Let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes before cutting into wedges. Makes 6 servings.
- Heartland Cooking Casseroles.