Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Is your neighbors ringing your doorbell and running, leaving behind all that summer squash? Here is a great way to use it. My daughter who generally doesn't like anything in a pie or a veggie for that matter loves this recipe. I hope you do too. You can use all zuccini or all yellow summer squash depending on what you have. I really think of this as comfort food.
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pastry shells
- 1 egg, beaten well with a bit water
- 2 1⁄2 cups sliced summer squash
- 2 1⁄2 cups sliced zucchini (1/4 inch slices)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- Bake pastry that has been slightly pricked for 5 minutes at 450 in your oven.
- Remove. brush lightly with beaten egg. Discard remaining egg.
- Bake 5 minutes longer.
- Remove to wire rack reduce heat to 350.
- In a nonstick skillet saute zuccini and squash until very tender.
- Sprinkle with seasonings: spoon into pastry shell.
- Top with tomatoes.
- Combine cheese and mayonnaise; spread over top.
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until golden brown.