Chef Carol Kay's Note:
Is your neighbors ringing your doorbell and running, leaving behind all that summer squash? Here is a great way to use it. My daughter who generally doesn't like anything in a pie or a veggie for that matter loves this recipe. I hope you do too. You can use all zuccini or all yellow summer squash depending on what you have. I really think of this as comfort food.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pastry shells
- 1 egg, beaten well with a bit water
- 2 1/2 cups sliced summer squash
- 2 1/2 cups sliced zucchini (1/4 inch slices)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1Bake pastry that has been slightly pricked for 5 minutes at 450 in your oven.
- 2Remove. brush lightly with beaten egg. Discard remaining egg.
- 3Bake 5 minutes longer.
- 4Remove to wire rack reduce heat to 350.
- 5In a nonstick skillet saute zuccini and squash until very tender.
- 6Sprinkle with seasonings: spoon into pastry shell.
- 7Top with tomatoes.
- 8Combine cheese and mayonnaise; spread over top.
- 9Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Summer Squash Pie
Serving Size: 1 (187 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 291.9
- Calories from Fat 188
- Total Fat 20.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.2 g
- Cholesterol 47.0 mg
- Sodium 376.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 7.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: