Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs 10 mins
A nice change from cukes-
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 2 red bell peppers (I've never skinned mine) or 2 green bell peppers, skinned and seeded (I've never skinned mine)
- 2 quarts cross cut zucchini (or other summer squash, 1/2 inch thick)
- 1⁄4 cup salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups white vinegar or 2 1⁄2 cups cider vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken up
- Cut onion slices in half and peppers into 1/4 inch by 1 inch strips.
- Combine squash, onions and peppers and sprinkle with salt, cover with water and let stand 2 hours.
- Drain, rinse, drain well.
- Combine vinegar, sugar, and remaining ingredients in a large pot.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 min.
- Add veg and return to a boil-remove from heat immediately.
- Quickly ladle veg and liquid into clean hot jars.
- Leave 1/2 inch head space.
- Process 10 minutes in a boiling water bath.
This is a great recipe. We also cubed the squash which we liked better. The yellow zucchinni really worked well. Thanks
I used my yellow crook neck squash with this recipe and they came out so sweet and tatsy. Everyone is getting a jar of these for Christmas this year!
I made these because I had an excess of summer squash from the farmer's market and my husband likes bread and butter pickles. So far, he's eaten two jars. Super easy to make, the only thing I didn't do was soak the squash in salted water. Instead, I salted it, let it sit for 30 minutes, and patted it dry with a towel to get rid of excess moisture and allow it to soak up more brine. Good stuff.