Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large sweet onions, chopped
- 1 leek, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 summer squash, trimmed and coarsely chopped (about three pounds)
- 4 sprigs lemon thyme, plus fresh sprigs for garnish (or 4 sprigs of thyme and 2 strips of lemon peel)
- 5 cups sodium-free chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 -4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- hot pepper sauce
- parmesan cheese (to garnish)
- pine nuts (to garnish)
- lemon, zest of (to garnish)
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions, leek and garlic and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until onions are soft.
- Add the squash and lemon thyme and cook, stirring for 5 minutes.
- Increase to medium high heat; add the chicken broth and salt.
- Cook, partially covered, at a low boil for 20 minutes or until the squash is soft.
- Discard the thyme.
- Puree the soup in batches in a covered blender, then return to the Dutch oven and heat through.
- Add the lemon juice and hot pepper sauce to taste.
- Garnish the soup with shaved Parmesan, pine nuts, thyme sprigs and lemon zest.
- Serve hot.