Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
a light and healthy side dish, perfect to accompany any lemon meat/poultry/fish dish. i love cooked garlic, it's a great health benefit too. but if you don't, then omit it. i hope you don't think my directions are micro-management, but when i read a recipe, i really appreciate specific direction. maybe because i'm new and learning to cook. adding mushooms would be great. or take away the garlic and add paprika and raisins!
- 1 green summer squash, quartered lengthwise and sliced (zucchino verde)
- 1 summer squash, quartered lengthwise and sliced (zucchino giallo)
- 1 yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth or 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 -2 tablespoon oil (veg or olive or corn)
- 1 lemon, zest of (set aside slices for garnish or juicing over meal)
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- sea salt, to taste
- heat oil in a suacepan, add onion, sweat at a low heat.
- when becoming translucent, throw garlic on top of onions, as the onions provide a buffer against burning the garlic.
- to quicken the cooking, turn up the heat and add the broth or water, and cover if you want. again, to provent burning. add salt now, as it draws out water and flavor from the ingredients.
- add zucchini, yellow and green. add lemon zest. add crushed red pepper. cover or not, but stir occasionally.
- ready when zucchini is transparent. drain or keep the liquid. serve hot! have lemon slices available to squeeze!
We enjoyed this side dish tonight. I used only summer squash and left out the red pepper due to picky kids. I have made a dish similar to this, but hadn't used chicken broth -- I think the broth is a good addition. Thanks.