1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 10 mins
Tracy K's Note:
Delicious veggie dish with intense flavor. Suitable as a main course for a light meal, or a fantastic summer side dish. A shallow oval gratin dish will give you the best results, but a shallow casserole dish will work as well, just be certain to cook it until the veggies have shrunken and the juices have reduced. Source: Fine Cooking
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
FOR THE ONIONS
TO ASSEMBLE THE GRATIN
- 1 1/4 lbs ripe tomatoes, cored and cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 3/4 lb zucchini or 3/4 lb other green summer squash, cut into 1/4 inch slices on the bias (about 2 small)
- 3/4 lb summer squash or 3/4 lb golden zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch slices on the bias (about 2 small)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 1/4 cups freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1Preheat oven to 375.
- 2To cook the onions-- In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- 3Add the onions and sauté, stirring frequently, until limp and golden brown, about 2 min.
- 4Reduce the heat to medium-low if they're browning too quickly.
- 5Add the garlic and sauté until soft and fragrant, 1 to 2 min.
- 6Spread the onions and garlic evenly in the bottom of an oiled 2-qt. shallow gratin dish (preferably oval).
- 7Let cool.
- 8To assemble the gratin: Put the tomato slices on a shallow plate to drain for a few minutes and then discard the collected juices.
- 9In a medium bowl, toss the zucchini and squash slices with 1-1/2 Tbs. of the olive oil, 2 Tbs.of the thyme, and 1/2 tsp.of the salt.
- 10Reserve half of the cheese for the top of the gratin.
- 11Sprinkle 1 Tbs.of the thyme over the onions in the gratin.
- 12Starting at one end of the baking dish, lay a row of slightly overlapping tomato slices across the width of the dish and sprinkle with a little of the cheese.
- 13Next, lay a row of zucchini, overlapping the tomatoes by two-thirds, and sprinkle with cheese.
- 14Repeat with a row of squash, and then repeat rows, sprinkling each with cheese, until the gratin is full.
- 15Season lightly with pepper and the remaining 1/2 tsp.salt.
- 16Drizzle the remaining 1-1/2 Tbs.olive oil over all.
- 17Combine the reserved cheese with the remaining 1 Tbs. thyme and sprinkle this over the whole gratin.
- 18Cook until well-browned all over and the juices have bubbled for a while and reduced considerably, 65 to 70 min.
- 19Let cool for at least 15 min.before serving.
- 20NOTE: You can use any combination of summer squash for this dish.
Browse Our Top Egg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Egg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Summer Squash Gratin with Tomatoes, Parmesan and Fresh Thyme
Serving Size: 1 (275 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 332.2
- Calories from Fat 219
- Total Fat 24.3 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 18.0 mg
- Sodium 1025.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 9.4 g
- Protein 13.4 g