Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I love summer squash and this is a different way to prepare them. You may a combination of summer squash and zucchini if you like.
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 3 cups chopped summer squash or 3 cups zucchini
- 1 (4 ounce) candiced green chili peppers, drained
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups shredded monterey jack pepper cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In a large skillet, cook onion and garlic in hot oil just until tender. Stir in squash; cook for 3 to 5 minutes more or just until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in half of the green chile peppers, 1 teaspoons of the chili powder and 1/4 teaspoons black pepper. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Set aside.
- For sauce; In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt, 1/8 teaspoons black pepper, and remaining chili powder. Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Stir in milk. Cook and stir until bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in 1 cup of the cheese until melted. Stir in the remaining chile peppers. Stir 1/2 cup of the sauce into squash mixture.
- Spoon 1/3 cup squash mixture down the center of each tortilla; roll up. Place tortillas in a lightly greased 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Top with remaining sauce. Cover and bake about 25 minutes or until heated through. Top with tomato and remaining cheese.