Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Great dish to use those fresh summer veggies from the garden. Full of flavor. I usually line the crockpot with those special liners made by Reynolds for quick and easy cleanup.
- In skillet, cook the sausage crumbling it into small pieces. Drain grease and place in Crockpot.
- Add onions and garlic on top of meat.
- In same skillet add olive oil. Heat over medium heat. Add chopped squashes and saute for about 2 minutes. Place this layer next in the crock.
- In same skillet add broth and bring to a boil. Make sure to get up any bits of meat and veggies from bottom of skillet. Boil for one minute. Pour over squashes.
- Finally in the skillet add the can of tomatoes, cumin and red pepper. Bring to just a boil. Pour over every thing else in crockpot.
- Cover and cook in crockpot on low for 8 hours.
Surprisingly tasty, great way to use up excess summer veggies. I used chicken sausage.
This is a hearty and delicious dish! I used hot Italian turkey sausage and it was just great with all those veggies. I served this on it's own but I think it would be great over rice or pasta too. Thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for Spring Pick-A-Chef 2012
Great timing for this recipe with bushels or squash coming out of the garden! I changed the sausage to turkey sausage. Thanks!