Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Cut this out of a magazine a long time ago. Everyone loves this. I usually double recipe as this only serves 2. Putting it here for safekeeping
- 2 small summer squash (sliced)
- 1⁄4 cup onion (chopped)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (divided)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise (full fat only)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons crushed corn flakes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons butter
- In a small saucepan, combine squash, onion and 1/4 tsp salt.
- Cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer uncovered for 2 minutes or until squash is crisp tender. Drain.
- In a bowl, beat egg, mayonnaise, sugar, pepper and remaining salt until blended.
- Stir in cheese and squash mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 2 cup baking dish.
- Toss cornflakes and butter; sprinkle over top.
- Bake uncovered at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and bubbley.
I made this casserole & followed the ingredients for the recipe, however I was wondering whether there was a misprint in the amount of eggs to be used. My casserole was runny. I believe that this problem who have been resolved if I had added 2 eggs instead of just 1. As another reviewer mentioned more cheese would have also made this tastier about 1/2 cup. Otherwise good casserole.
I doubled this recipe and I'm glad that I did. I enjoyed this very much and it was quite simple to make. I may have added a bit more cheese than listed, but that's the only change I made. I liked that the squash still had some texture and wasn't mashed like many other squash casseroles. I'll make this again. Thanx for sharing!