Recipe by WiTay
This is another variation on my "easy casserole" but is a little more involved. It's worth the effort, though, it you like squash. I personally prefer to prepare the squash the day before since it is the lengthiest process.
- 2 -3 small yellow squash
- 2 -3 small zucchini, squashes
- 1 vidalia onions or 1 sweet onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, condensed
- 1⁄2 lb of grated white cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
- 8 ounces sleeve Ritz cracker crumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Start by preparing the squash.
- Slice the squash into thin circles and cut the onion into strips.
- Sauté the squash and onions together in butter and set them on paper towels to help absorb the oil and water. You don't want your squash too soggy or you'll get a watery casserole.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- "Slice" a carrot in to thin strips using a vegetable peeler.
- Combine the squash, onions, carrots, white cheddar, condensed soup, egg, and a handful of cracker crumbs in a large mixing bowl and mix.
- Place the mixture in a 9X13 casserole dish and bake at 350°F for 30-45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with remaining cracker crumbs.
- Bake an additional 5 minutes or until the crackers brown slightly.