Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a dish inspired after watching an episode of Martha Stewart. I changed things a little and added other ingredients to make it my own.
- coarse salt
- 1 lb spaghetti or 1 lb linguine
- 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage, link, sliced very thin
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 medium summer squash, sliced thin
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1 ounce sliced olive
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- parmesan cheese or crushed crouton
- Cook pasta 'al dente' according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and cook, stirring frequently, until browned and cooked through, 5 to 10 minutes. remove sausage from pan. Leave a little fat in pan (for taste).
- Add 1/4 cup olive oil and bring heat down to medium-low. Add squash and onion and cook, stirring frequently until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add olives, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes; season with salt to taste.
- Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup cooking water. Add pasta to skillet and toss to combine. If pasta seems dry, add cooking water 1 tbsp at a time, tossing between each addition. Add cooked sausage and combine.
- Transfer pasta to a large serving platter, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with parmesan cheese or crushed croutons.
This was a great base recipe! I changed it up a bit too, using what I had on hand and it turned out fantastic! I used shell shaped pasta and 1 lb of hot bulk sausage. I put the sausage, 1 summer squash, 1 onion and 4 cloves garlic along with the seasoning in a pan and sauteed until the sausage was cooked. I drained off the fat and added back in the juice using one of those nifty fat separator cups. I added the pasta, gave it a stir and it was loved by all :) Thanks for posting...I'll be using your recipe as a base for using up lots of squash and zucchini!