Prep 10 mins
Cook 16 mins
Great side dish for just about anything. Toasting the cumin seeds intensifies their flavor.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 cups frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups diagonally cut zucchini, diagonally cut 1/4 inch (about 3/4 of a pound)
- 2 cups yellow squash, diagonally cut 1/4 inch (about 3/4 lb)
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded (2 oz)
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, and cook the cumin seeds for 30 seconds or until toasted, stirring frequently.
- Add the corn, sliced onion, and minced garlic, and saute for 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add the zucchini, yellow squash, green chiles, and 1/2 tsp salt, and saute' for 6 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in the cilantro.
- Remove from heat, and sprinkle cheese.
- Cover and let stand for 5 minutes until the cheese melts.
Fantastic and attractive side dish! My husband, Mr. No Veg, commented how much he liked it and this never happens. I made exactly as directed and wouldn't change a thing. Could also be served over brown rice as a vegetarian main dish. Toasting the cumin seeds releases lots of flavor and the medley of corn, onion and squash is simply wonderful. Lots of great taste without a lot of fat. I'll definitely make this again. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
I love squash and zucchini and am always looking for different ways to prepare it. I really enjoyed the addition of corn and spices, however; I did leave out the chiles. I also skipped the cheese. I will keep this one.