Prep 0 mins
Cook 50 mins
Martha Stewart Living.
For the Biscuits
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 in pieces
- 8 ounces cold cream cheese, cut into 1/2 in pieces
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk, plus more for brushing
- raw sugar or fine sanding sugar, for sprinkling
- 2 pints blueberries
- 2 pints strawberries, hulled (large berries need to be cut)
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- make the biscuits: preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a food processor, pulse flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until well combined. Add butter and pulse until pieces are size of peas. Add cream cheese and pulse again until largest pieces are size of peas. Add buttermilk and pulse until dough comes together. Transfer to a bowl and gently knead into a ball. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour or overnight.
- Divide dough in half. Working with one portion at a time on a floured surface, pat into a disk, then roll into a 10-inch round. Transfer to baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Brush biscuits with buttermilk. Generously sprinkle raw sugar over tops and sides. Brush off sugar from parchment. Bake until dough has risen slightly and is golden brown, 12 - 15 minutes. Leave biscuits on sheets. Using a 2 1/2 inch star cutter, cut out but don't remove stars from one biscuit while it is warm. Let cool.
- Using a paring knife, remove stars.
- Making the filling: combine blueberries and strawberries and 2 tablespoons sugar, let macerate until juicy, 10 minutes.
- Just before serving, beat cream to medium peaks with remaining sugar and vanilla.
- Assemble: Place uncut biscuit on large plate. Spoon half of berries and juices on biscuit, then spread whipped topping over berries. Top with all but a 1/2 cup of berries. Place cut out biscuit on top and fill in stars with reserved berries.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for 3 hours uncovered.