Prep 20 mins
Cook 9 hrs
This is so good with crackers and cheese. It is much like hard salami
- 5 lbs ground chuck
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 4 tablespoons Morton Tender Quick salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- Mix all ingredients together in glass or plastic bowl.
- DO NOT USE ANY METAL!
- Cover and put in refrigerator.
- Mix each day for 3 days.
- On fourth day, mix and form into 5 logs.
- Place on broiler pan.
- Bake 150F degrees to 160F degrees for 9 hours.
It worked! They look like summer sausage! I'm so thrilled because I had to bake mine at 170 degrees since that is as low as my oven will go. I also ended up baking it for an extra half hour because I did them overnight. Next time though, I will add more garlic because I am such a garlic fanatic. Thanks for a great recipe. I'll definitely make this again when these are gone.
I have made this twice and the whole batch doesn't last more than a week between our kids and the DH. I don't even get to put it in the freezer. We tried store bought summer sausage after I made it once. The store brand wasn't nearly as good.
This is still cooking in my oven and I cannot wait another minute to rate. I honestly don't CARE what it tastes like....my house smells ravishing!!! (ok - I cut a bit off the end of one log...and it IS as good as everyone else says!!!) Kudos to Lali! Thanks for another keeper!