Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This healthy and refreshing salad is a favorite summer recipe. I use ingredients that I have on-hand and it is very easy to prepare. You could easily substitute with your favorite seasonal veggies in place of those that I used. Great on its own as a side dish or served over mixed greens as a main course salad.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup carrot
- 1 cup green beans
- 1 cup tomatoes
- 1 cup yellow squash
- 1 cup great northern bean (canned)
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free Italian salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- Rinse quinoa thoroughly until water runs clear and drain. Add quinoa and water to a small pot. Bring to a boil, stir, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooking, mix the italian dressing, mustard, vinegar, italian spices and black pepper in a large bowl. Chop the carrots, green beans, tomatoes and squash. Toss the vegetables in the bowl with the dressing.
- Rinse and drain the beans, then add to the other ingredients.
- When the quinoa is done cooking, add it to the other ingredients and mix well. Serve as is, or for best results chill for one hour prior to serving.
This dish was enjoyable and a good way to use lots of vegetables that were about to go to waste. However, it just didn't wow me, it was sort of bland and my fiancee and I tired of eating the default quantity before it was gone.