Recipe by Katie In Miami
This healthy and refreshing salad is a favorite summer recipe. I use ingredients that I have on-hand and it is very easy to prepare. You could easily substitute with your favorite seasonal veggies in place of those that I used. Great on its own as a side dish or served over mixed greens as a main course salad.
Top Review by Willing To Try Anything
This dish was enjoyable and a good way to use lots of vegetables that were about to go to waste. However, it just didn't wow me, it was sort of bland and my fiancee and I tired of eating the default quantity before it was gone.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup carrot
- 1 cup green beans
- 1 cup tomatoes
- 1 cup yellow squash
- 1 cup great northern bean (canned)
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free Italian salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse quinoa thoroughly until water runs clear and drain. Add quinoa and water to a small pot. Bring to a boil, stir, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooking, mix the italian dressing, mustard, vinegar, italian spices and black pepper in a large bowl. Chop the carrots, green beans, tomatoes and squash. Toss the vegetables in the bowl with the dressing.
- Rinse and drain the beans, then add to the other ingredients.
- When the quinoa is done cooking, add it to the other ingredients and mix well. Serve as is, or for best results chill for one hour prior to serving.