Recipe by JackieOhNo!
This gets on the table pretty fast, and is a nice, elegant (yet hearty) meal. It happens to be a particular summertime favorite of mine.l
- 2 large eggs
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 8 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (6 ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) can tuna
- 1 cup canned chick-peas
- 1 small summer squash
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 head romaine lettuce
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil
- 6 -8 sprigs fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 8 oil-cured black olives
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place eggs in small saucepan and add water to cover by 1 inch. Heat to boiling, then let stand covered 15 minutes. Drain and cool in cold water.
- Meanwhile, place bread on cookie sheet and brush 2 T. oil over both sides of bread. Bake, turning once, until golden brown, about 12 minutes. Let cool, then cut into triangles.
- Drain artichoke hearts and tuna. Rinse chick peas and pat dry. Scrub yellow squash and zucchini, then cut into matchsticks. Stem and seed bell pepper and cut into thin strips.
- Line large platter with romaine leaves. Arrange artichokes, tuna, chick peas, squashes, and bell pepper on romaine.
- Rinse anchovies, pat dry, and chop fine. Chop sun-dried tomatoes. Mince enough parsley to measure 2 T. Combine anchovies, tomatoes, and parsley in mixing bowl. Whisk in remaining 6 T. oil, the lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Drizzle dressing over salad.
- Peel and quarter hard-cooked eggs. Garnish salad with eggs and olives.
- Serve salad with croutons.
- Note: To arrange the salad on the platter, I do a pinwheel effect. I put the tuna in the center, surrounded alternately by chick peas, and artichokes. I then make spokes of squash & zucchini strips alternating with pepper strips, with eggs stuffed in between. I then sprinkle the olives over the top.