Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
I love ratatouille...but I hate the peppers. This recipe is a combination of other recipes and try & error with spices - minus the peppers.It is delicious - even better the next day.
- 2 small eggplants
- 1 zucchini
- 1 yellow squash
- salt & pepper
- olive oil
- 1⁄2 vidalia onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil leaf, sliced
- additional salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Peel eggplant and cut into circular slices 3/8-inch thick. Place eggplant in colander and toss with salt. Let stand 30-45 minutes. Drain. Dry each slice in a towel.
- Scrub zucchini & squash, slice off two ends, and cut into slices about same size as eggplant. Toss with olive oil, salt & pepper and place on baking sheet. Roast zucchini & squash for 10-12 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, saute eggplant in olive oil for about 2 minutes on each side to brown lightly; do not overcrowd. Remove to a side dish with towel to drain excess oil.
- In same skillet, cook onions in olive oil for about 5-7 minutes, or until tender but not browned. Stir in garlic and continue to sauté careful not to brown. Season with salt, pepper, thyme, coriander and fennel seed. Add crushed tomatoes.
- Place 1/3 tomato sauce in bottom of covered casserole (min. 2 1/2 inches deep) and sprinkle ½ of the basil. Arrange in layers the eggplant, then zucchini & squash, then add another 1/3 tomato sauce. Layer remaining eggplant, zucchini & squash on top and finish with remaining tomato sauce and basil.
- Cover casserole and simmer on very low heat for 10 minutes. Uncover, tip casserole and baste with accumulated juices. Correct seasoning, if necessary.
- Cook uncovered 15 minutes, basting several times, until juices have evaporated leaving a spoonful or two of flavored olive oil.
- Set aside uncovered. Reheat slowly at serving time, or serve cold.
This was fantastic! Great way to use summer vegetables and makes for such a tasty meal! Will become a favorite staple. Even better day #2!