Recipe by lockedhalo
This is the macaroni salad that is served at every family gathering or picnic during the warm weather. It is a true summer comfort food. It also seems to get better with age. I hope you enjoy it.
- 1 lb salad macaroni (cooked)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 4 sweet pickles, finely minced (baby gherkins)
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 1⁄2 cup diced sweet onion
- 6 ounces albacore tuna in water, drained
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, cubed (about 1/4-inch pieces)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- granulated sugar
- white vinegar
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain the macaroni.
- Pour a mixture of 3 tablespoons vinegar and 2 tablespoons sugar over the drained (still in the colander) macaroni.
- Drain the macaroni (again).
- In a large bowl mix salad macaroni, peas, baby gherkins, celery, sweet onion, tuna, cubed cheese.
- Dressing: Take the mayo, sugar, some vinegar, salt and pepper to taste; mix into the macaroni mixture. You may want to add more dressing.
- This is a very forgiving salad. You can sub salad shrimp, ham or chicken for the tuna or ditch the meat/fish and add some grated carrots (if using carrots you might want to cut back on the sweet pickles), diced zucchini and diced red peppers.
- Chill, check the dressing and enjoy.