1/1 Photo of Summer Peach Cake(ATK)
2 hrs 10 mins
1 hr 25 mins
To crush the panko bread crumbs, place them in a zipper-lock bag and smash them with a rolling pin. If you can't find panko, 1/4 cup of plain, unseasoned bread crumbs can be substituted. Orange liqueur can be substituted for the peach schnapps. If using peak-of-season, farm-fresh peaches, omit the peach schnapps.**I have made this, it was very good and moist cake. I made two at one time, you can see I had to use two different pan sizes. I used the Orange liqueur because the store was out of Peach schnapps. I made to buy Peach schnapps for my pantry so I have it for next time I make this.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 lbs peaches, pitted and cut into 1/2 inch-thick wedges
- 5 tablespoons peach schnapps
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (5 ounces)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed (3 1/2 ounces)
- 2 large eggs
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs, finely crushed
- 1Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 425 degrees. Line rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with vegetable oil spray. Gently toss 24 peach wedges with 2 tablespoons schnapps, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon granulated sugar in bowl; set aside.
- 2Cut remaining peach wedges crosswise into thirds. Gently toss chunks with remaining 3 tablespoons schnapps, remaining 2 teaspoons lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons granulated sugar in bowl. Spread peach chunks in single layer on prepared sheet and bake until exuded juices begin to thicken and caramelize at edges of sheet, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer sheet to wire rack and let peaches cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- 3Spray 9-inch springform pan with vegetable oil spray. Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together in bowl. Whisk brown sugar, 1/3 cup granulated sugar, and eggs together in second bowl until thick and homogeneous, about 45 seconds. Slowly whisk in butter until combined. Add sour cream, vanilla, and 1/4 teaspoon almond extract; whisk until combined. Add flour mixture and whisk until just combined.
- 4Transfer half of batter to prepared pan; using offset spatula, spread batter evenly to pan edges and smooth surface. Sprinkle crushed bread crumbs evenly over cooled peach chunks and gently toss to coat. Arrange peach chunks on batter in even layer, gently pressing peaches into batter. Gently spread remaining batter over peach chunks and smooth top. Arrange reserved peach wedges, slightly overlapped, in ring over surface of cake, placing smaller wedges in center. Stir together remaining 3 tablespoons granulated sugar and remaining 1/8 teaspoon almond extract in small bowl until sugar is moistened. Sprinkle sugar mixture evenly over top of cake.
- 5Bake until center of cake is set and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes. Transfer pan to wire rack; cool 5 minutes. Run paring knife around sides of cake to loosen. Remove cake from pan and let cool completely, 2 to 3 hours. Cut into wedges and serve.
- 6**TIP: Keeping peaches in the fridge might seem like a good way to prolong their shelf life, but unless the fruit is ripe, the cold temperatures can turn their flesh mealy. Storing the fruit at or below 40 degrees deactivates an enzyme that breaks down its pectin during ripening. If this happens before the flesh is ripe, the pectin will remain intact and the flesh texture will be mealy. The lesson: Store peaches on the counter.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Summer Peach Cake(ATK)
Serving Size: 1 (185 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 388.2
- Calories from Fat 133
- Total Fat 14.8 g
- Saturated Fat 8.6 g
- Cholesterol 80.7 mg
- Sodium 337.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 43.7 g
- Protein 5.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: