Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Cooking Light August 2011
- 1 cup uncooked cracked farro or 1 cup wheat berries
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup watermelon, seeded and cubed
- 1 cup parsley, coarsley chopped
- 1⁄3 cup pecorino romano cheese, freshly shaved
- Rinse farro or wheat berries. Place in saucepan with about 1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover with about 2 inches of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and simmer for about 1 hour. (to desired tenderness).
- In the meantime, defrost peas. Place in colander.
- Drain and rinse farro and rinse with cold water (over peas that are defrosting); drain.
- Combine farro, peas, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add watermelon cubes and parsley and gently toss to combine. Top salad with cheese.