Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Food & Wine.
- 2 cups lima beans (fresh or frozen)
- 1⁄2 lb sugar snap pea, stringed
- 1 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup snow peas, strings removed (about 4 ounces)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups finely shredded romaine lettuce (about one-half head)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan of salted boiling water, blanch the beans and peas separately until crisp-tender, about 20 minutes for fresh limas, 5 minutes for sugar snaps and fresh English peas and 2 minutes for snow peas and frozen limas; frozen petite peas won't need to be blanched.
- Rinse well with cold water after cooking, then drain, shaking off the excess water, and transfer to a large bowl.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the chicken stock and cook over high heat until reduced by half, about 4 minutes.
- Add the beans, peas and romaine lettuce and cook, stirring, until the lettuce is wilted and the peas are heated through. Season with salt and pepper and serve at once.