Recipe by Kiwi Kathy
A cold, uncooked sauce stirred through hot pasta makes an easy and nutritious meal on a hot day. Another favourite of mine from Alison & Simon Holst's "Very Easy Vegetarian Cookbook".
Top Review by Sharon123
Delicicous! I so enjoyed this salad! The avocadoes made it so creamy and I used fresh tomatoes from the garden. I halved the recipe for my DH and I. Thanks for a summer treat! Made for the Australian Swap Aug. 2009.
- 150 -200 g spiral shaped pasta, large
- 1 large avocado
- 4 tomatoes, ripe (about 400gm)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 red onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 8 large basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons capers
- 12 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons lime juice (if limes are unavailable) or 2 teaspoons lemon juice (if limes are unavailable)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red chili peppers, minced or 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- pepper, to taste
- 2 -3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the pasta in plenty of boiling salted water with about 1 tblspn of oil added. Drain when cooked.
- While pasta is cooking, cut the avocado and tomatoes into 1cm cubes and put in a bowl. Add the finely chopped onion, garlic and roughly chopped basil and capers.
- Mix the reaming ingredients thoroughly, and toss through the vegetable mixture.
- When ready to serve, put the hot drained pasta into a shallow bowl, toss half the sauce through it and spoon the rest over the top. Serve at once.