Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 7 hrs
Roasted tomato pasta, delicious! I usually use roasted tomatoes from a can but this recipe is for fresh tomatoes. Apparently this was designed to be a kid pleaser. Created by Celia Barbour, from an article in the food section of the Wednesday New York Times. Instructions for overnight roasting of tomatoes is included. If you do that, this dish can be made in about 20 minutes.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs tomatoes (imperfect or overripe ok)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- salt, to taste
- 1 lb pasta (farfalle, penne or fusilli)
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, finely minced and mashed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ears corn, raw if very fresh or lightly steamed
- 2 pints cherries (preferably low-acid orange or yellow, halved or quartered) or 2 pints grape tomatoes (preferably low-acid orange or yellow, halved or quartered)
- 12 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, diced
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1 cup mixed herbs, torn into small pieces (mostly basil, with summer savory, parsley, orange mint and purple basil, whatever is available)
- Roasted Tomatoes:.
- Heat oven to 275 degrees Fahrenheit and line a large baking sheet or metal roasting pan with parchment paper.
- Cut tomatoes in slices about 3/4 inch thick, reserving ends for another use. Lay slices on baking sheet, brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and sugar.
- Bake 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 200 degrees. Continue baking, turning halfway through, until tomatoes are shrunken and chewy but not crisp, 4 to 6 hours.
- (They may be started in the evening and finished the next morning. After partial baking, turn off oven, leaving door closed. In the morning, if tomatoes are not done, reheat oven and continue roasting).
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta, and cook until al dente (per package directions).
- Menwhile, chop roasted tomatoes very finely until they are almost a paste. (You could use a large food processor or done in batches in a blender). Place in large serving bowl and add garlic, butter and olive oil.
- When pasta is cooked, drain well and add to the bowl while still hot. Toss well.
- Stand ears of corn on end and slice kernels from cobs. Add corn, cherry or grape tomatoes, mozzarella and Parmigiano-Reggiano to pasta-tomato mixture. Toss well. Add herbs and toss again. Serve warm or at room temperature.
easily assembled and what a great taste - will be making this again - I think I might try adding some roasted veggies to this the next time around, asparagus and carrots or even some pea pods...made for family picks