Recipe by Obag
The basis for this recipe is a recipe in the July 2005 issue of Sunset Magazine. I've modified the dressing to use bottled dressing to make it even simpler. Great for picnics and potlucks. ***Great presentation when layered unmixed in a large glass bowl.*** Can be made vegetarian depending on dressing.
Top Review by ~Leslie~
Obag, this is a terrific salad, and so easy to put together. I tried this while in the US for Holidays so was able to try the Bernsteins light fantastic cheese fantastico salad dressing. which is not available here in Canada. To all of those who cannot get this type of Salad dressing, I would compare it to a parmesan Italian dressing, perhaps Newmans Own. At any rate, the flavours blended together so well, and made a light fresh salad that we all enjoyed. Thanks for posting a new way to enjoy orzo! :)
- 1 lb fresh green beans, microwavable (snapped into 2 inch lengths)
- 8 ounces orzo pasta, dried
- 3 ears fresh corn, white preferred
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, rinsed and cut in half
- 1 1⁄2 cups Bernsteins light fantastic cheese fantastico salad dressing
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook Orzo as directed; rinse with cool water and set aside.
- Prepare beans as directed for microwave (3.5 to 4.5 mins); rinse with cold ice water to retain color and stop cooking, until beans are cold then drain well.
- Husk corn, rinse, and holding cobs upright, cut kernals off into deep bowl (cut kernals close to cob).
- In large wide bowl, mix Orzo with 1/2 cup of dressing.
- Spread pasta level and begin layering corn, green beans, and tomatoes.
- Just prior to serving, pour 3/4 of dressing over salad and mix gently if desired. (Add more dressing, salt/pepper to taste).