1 hr 25 mins
In 'Summer Gatherings' by Rick Rodgers
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 small zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 lb green beans, cut into 1/2-inch lengths
- 1 lb shelled fresh cranberry beans (1 cup shelled)
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 large ripe tomato, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup rice (Arborio)
- fresh ground black pepper
- chopped fresh basil, for garnish
- 1Heat the oil in a soup pot over medium heat.
- 2Add onion and red pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- 3Stir in the garlic and cook until it gives off its aroma, about 1 minute.
- 4Stir in the zucchini, green beans, and cranberry beans.
- 5Add the stock, 2 cups water, tomato, and thyme, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- 6Decrease heat to low and partially cover the pot.
- 7Simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- 8Meanwhile, bring a medium saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil over high heat.
- 9Add the rice and decrease heat to medium.
- 10Cook at a brisk simmer until the rice is tender, about 18 minutes.
- 11Drain the rice in a wire sieve and rinse under cold running water.
- 12When the vegetables are tender, stir the rice into the soup and cook for a few minutes to blend the flavors.
- 13Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 14Cool to room temperature; serve at room temperature, sprinkled with the basil.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Summer Minestrone II
Serving Size: 1 (174 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 289.9
- Calories from Fat 39
- Total Fat 4.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 9.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.9 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 15.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: