Prep 45 mins
Cook 40 mins
In 'Summer Gatherings' by Rick Rodgers
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 small zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1⁄2 lb green beans, cut into 1/2-inch lengths
- 1 lb shelled fresh cranberry beans (1 cup shelled)
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 large ripe tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 cup rice (Arborio)
- fresh ground black pepper
- chopped fresh basil, for garnish
- Heat the oil in a soup pot over medium heat.
- Add onion and red pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook until it gives off its aroma, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the zucchini, green beans, and cranberry beans.
- Add the stock, 2 cups water, tomato, and thyme, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Decrease heat to low and partially cover the pot.
- Simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a medium saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil over high heat.
- Add the rice and decrease heat to medium.
- Cook at a brisk simmer until the rice is tender, about 18 minutes.
- Drain the rice in a wire sieve and rinse under cold running water.
- When the vegetables are tender, stir the rice into the soup and cook for a few minutes to blend the flavors.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cool to room temperature; serve at room temperature, sprinkled with the basil.