Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
Summer vegetables enhance this classic soup. Adapted from Moosewood.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1⁄4 lb green beans, stemmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cups diced zucchini
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 cup corn kernel, fresh or frozen
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked navy beans
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- In a large pot, over medium-high heat, add in the oil, onions, garlic, and salt; cook, stirring often, for about 10 minutes.
- Add in the marjoram; stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to medium; add the carrots and green beans; cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring fairly often to prevent sticking.
- Add in the zucchini, tomatoes, and corn; cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in the fresh basil; stir to combine; cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in the stock and navy beans.
- Bring to a boil; lower heat and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Add in the lemon juice and parsley; stir to combine.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot; sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese if desired.