Recipe by ellie_
This is a wonderful dessert that uses up egg whites, extra heavy cream and summer fruit. The original recipe mentioned using a brown cut-up grocery bag (cut into a circle) but I found that using a pizza pan (12 -14 inchs) with cooking spray works very well. (I didn't try the grocery bag idea because I was worried that it didn't sound very healthy to use a grocery bag that who knows what's been on it). Recipe adapted from Simply Simpatico Cookbook.
Top Review by plantfreek
What's to be afraid of using a brown paper bag after it's been in a hot oven?? I've used nothing but brown paper bags for the last 41years to make these meringues. I fill them with any and everything from fresh whipped cream to strawberries, chocolate sauce, lemon curd, yum! Try that bag! Leave them in the oven and don't open till meringues are completely cooled off.
- 4 egg whites (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups strawberries (or other sliced fruit or berries)
- 2 kiwi fruits, sliced (or berries)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 250-degrees F.
- Using cooking spray spray pizza pan (12-14-inch round) or grease with butter and flour pan, shaking off excess.
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Gradually add sugar, lemon juice, vinegar and salt.
- With a rubber spatula, spread meringue mixture into prepared pan, pushing it up around the edges to form a raised edge about 1/4- 1/2-inch wide.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour 15 minutes- 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Whip cream until soft peaks form.
- Spread whipped cream over meringue and top with strawberries and kiwi (or use other summer fruit, but I like using two different fruits of different colors and textures).
- If desired, add a dab of whipped cream in center with a strawberry fan as a decoration.
- Serve immediately and refrigerate any leftovers.