Prep 40 mins
Cook 2 mins
I haven't had a chance to try this yet, but I found it in the cookbook Thru the Grapevine, and it looks like a unique Summertime dinner! Can be made ahead and frozen.
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
- 1 egg
- 3 stale hot dog buns, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup tomato juice or 1⁄2 cup V8 vegetable juice
- 1 teaspoon leaves thyme
- 1 teaspoon leaves tarragon
- 2 teaspoons black pepper, coursely ground
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup ketchup
- Mix first 8 ingredients; place in loaf pan and bake at 325 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Drain off fat; place in larger baking pan, top side up.
- Mix together brown sugar and ketchup and glaze top and sides of meatloaf.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1/2 hour.
- Cool; remove to platter and chill overnight in refrigerator.
- Note: Can also be made in the Winter and served hot!
I followed the directions, except we got impatient and ate it hot. I don't recommend this. Way too spicy, glaze too sweet. I tried some leftovers cold and can't say I cared for that much more, but I didn't try too much... just a bite. This recipe is too long and complicated for not being very good. Sorry... I just didn't care for it.