Every summer I grill vegetables in a grill basket with the ingredients listed which I've developed. It beats plain grilled veggies as these flavors are pumped-up, delicious, healthy and makes a great accompaniment to grilled meats or fish. If you don't have a grill basket, the veggies can be skewered instead (I would recommend buying a grill basket because it makes it so easy). Note that nutritional value listed isn't correct because it is counting full measure of marinate ingredients. The marinate ingredients are mostly cooked off during grilling.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped into chunks
- 2 medium summer squash, chopped into chunks
- 2 large onions, chopped (~2 inch dice)
- 2 red bell peppers (~2 inch dice)
- 1 1/2 cups button mushrooms (optional)
- 1 cup French dressing
- 1/2 cup Italian dressing (like Wishbone or Kens brand)
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2-1 teaspoon dry ground chipotle chile pepper, to taste (or cayenne, taste bit by bit until you've reached your personal desired taste)
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke (I normally use hickory, but mesquite is fine too)
- 1Chop vegetables by trying to keep all within the same uniform size. Place chopped vegetables in a large ziplock bag (the larger bags found in Cosco or BJ's is best).
- 2In a medium bowl, mix all remaining ingredients. Remove about 1/2 cup into a small bowl, reserve, cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator (this 1/2 cup of reserved dressing is optional). Pour remaining dressing mixture into bag and massage vegetables to distribute marinade mixture evenly. Make sure each vegetables piece is thoroughly covered with dressing mixture.
- 3Seal bag and try to push air out. Place bag in a clean bowl. Refrigerate and marinate for 4 - 8 hours.
- 4Prepare and heat up grill.
- 5Remove veggie bag from refrigerator. Place a large sieve over a bowl big enough to hold sieve. Pour veggies into sieve, letting the sauce drip into bowl.
- 6Place a grill basket over hot grill.
- 7Pour vegetables into grill basket. Every so often with long tongs turn vegetables to cook evenly. When turning vegetables, spoon in marinate sauce into vegetables until all is used up.
- 8Grill for approximately 20 - 30 minutes until vegetables are cooked to desired doneness. They should be tender with slight crisp and some pieces slightly charred (being careful not to over-char).
- 9Serve hot. If using reserved sauce, pour over veggies and toss to distribute evenly or serve plain without added sauce.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Summer Lovin' Grilled Veggies
Serving Size: 1 (240 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 305.5
- Calories from Fat 222
- Total Fat 24.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 559.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 15.1 g
- Protein 2.9 g