Recipe by Mama Cee Jay
DD and I created this dish on a wonderful summer afternoon after shopping at the market. This pasta can be served warm, room temperature or cold. It is perfect for taking to a summer picnic.
- 2 zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 1 large sweet onion, halved
- 3 large tomatoes, quartered
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and quartered
- 1 head garlic, cloves separated but not peeled
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mozzarella cheese, chunks, not shredded (do not substitute)
- 1 lb pasta (I used medium seashells)
- 20 leaves fresh basil
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat gas grill to medium high. Place prepared veggies on perforated grilling pan which has been brushed with olive oil. Grill veggies for 5 minutes, turning once during this time.
- Remove veggies from grill and allow to slightly cool. Remove charred skin from tomatoes and peel garlic cloves, but do not peel other veggies. Chop all the vegetables and place into large bowl and combine with olive oil. Add chunks of fresh mozzarella. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and immediately combine with veggies and cheese mixture. Add basil leaves. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve when desired- immediately, a little later or refrigerate.