Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs 10 mins
Not just a veggie salad, this on also includes shrimp, making it a nice cool, one dish meal for the summer time! Serve over lettuce...
- 1 (4 ounce) package macaroni, raw (Ronzoni whole wheat pasta)
- 1 cup broccoli floret
- 1 (6 ounce) package shrimp, precooked (bought frozen then thawed)
- 1 small tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup spinach, chopped (bought frozen then thawed)
- 1⁄3 cup red onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup Italian salad dressing, bottled (lowfat or light)
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 hard-boiled egg, grated (white only)
- Prepare macaroni, per package, adding the broccoli during the last 4 min of the cooking time; Drain.
- In a large bowl, combine the macaroni/broccoli with the shrimp, tomato, spinach and onion --.
- In a small bowl, combine the salad dressing, italian seasoning, salt and red pepper flakes --.
- Add this mixture to the pasta mixture and toss to coat well; garnish with the egg.
- Cover and chill 2 hours; toss again before serving.
- NOTE: this is a very light salad, hence the small amount of dressing -- the dressing is only intended to enhance the salad, not to drown it ;-).
- NOTE: prep time covers the veggie chopping and pasta cooking; cooking time covers the assembly and chilling of the salad.