Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a refreshing chilled soup that combines the best of summer in one bowl and is topped off with a cooling sauce. Accompany it with grilled or toasted crusty bread. From Cooking Pleasures magazine.
- 4 cups chopped ripe tomatoes (about 4 medium)
- 1 cup cucumber, peeled, finely diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, finely diced (or green)
- 1⁄2 cup sweet onion, finely diced (or green onions)
- 1⁄4 cup celery, finely diced
- 2 radishes, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 serrano chili, minced (optional, for those that like heat)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped mixed fresh herbs (basil, tarragon and or or chives)
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed saffron thread (I substitute marigold leaves)
- 2 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup tomato juice (or V-8)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (or sherry or red wine)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 medium garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice (or lemon)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- In a large bowl, stir together all gazpacho ingredients. Cover and refrigerate 30 to 60 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together all sauce ingredients; refrigerate until ready to serve. Drizzle soup with sauce; pass remaining sauce.
- Remove the veins and seeds in the serrano chile for a milder flavor.
Made as written and yummy! Used fresh herbs from the garden, too. For the sauce I chose whole cumin seeds and a few were scattered on top of the yogurt and then added a few strands of saffron. Beautiful presentation that way! Served with cornbread. Very good! Will make again! Reviewed for Veg Tag/July.
Oh I love gazpacho and sharon you've hit the spot with me on this one..delish and more than that I'm looking for the sixth star???? Made for ZWY5 and so glad I did..YUMMY!!!!! Garlic,Cumin and tomato how can it get any better than this?
These are spicy good! Love the vibrant reddish colors and the ease of preparation. Very refreshing although next time, I'd prefer it with less heat. Muchas gracias.