Recipe by susie cooks
This sounds wondeful. I have not tried it yet, but plan to as soon as my tomatoes are ready. You can substitute the zucchini with summer squashes or use a mixture of both. From Good Housekeeping Magazine.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Very nice soup, Susie, & definitely deserving of a 5-star rating, from the 2 of us, anyway! We've had summer squash & zucchini soup before, but here the bell peppers & garlic make a wonderful addition! Thanks for posting the recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Bargain Basement]
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cups water
- 3 medium zucchini, coarsely chopped
- 2 red bell peppers or 2 yellow bell peppers, coarsely chopped
- 3 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed with a press
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- sliced basil leaves (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 5-quart saucepot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook until tender and lightly browned.
- Add water, zucchini, peppers, tomatoes, garlic, fennel seeds, salt and pepper to taste, heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat to medium; cook, uncovered, 20 minutes or until tender.
- Remove 4 cups of soup from saucepot.
- In blender, with center part of cover removed to allow steam to escape, blend the 4 cups of soup, in small batches, until pureed.
- Return pureed soup to saucepot.
- Reheat soup to serve hot, or refrigerate to serve cold later.
- Garnish with basil leaves.