Recipe by EdsGirlAngie
This quick and delicious salad goes a step further than panzanella and also uses beautiful lime-green cubanelle peppers, cucumbers and a bit of red onion plus lots of fresh basil. Add some crusty bread crumbs and olive oil and you have a wonderful summer salad! It's definitely a regular event in my house. Prep time includes letting veggies "juice it up" together.
Top Review by Kate in Katoomba
The flavours of this salad are summer on a plate, but do rely on excellent tomatoes and olive oil though, so don't make these with unripe tomatoes and sunflower oil..... I toasted my sourdough croutons as suggested and served this salad with your lemony pepper thyme fettucine and some artichokes vinagrette on the side. An impromptu EdsGirl Angie dinnner and so delicious. Thankyou.
- 4 large ripe plum tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 small cucumber, seeded but not peeled, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 large cubanelle pepper, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 3 -4 tablespoons minced red onions (amount according to your preference)
- 5 basil leaves, shredded
- 4 cups crusty bread, cubes (I like to toast them first, but it's not absolutely necessary)
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and black pepper (we like lots of pepper in this!)