Recipe by angis
This is definitely one of my favorite recipes. It is from my ultimate cookbook, Great Housekeeping. I've been making this for years and it impresses every time. It also works well if you use mango pulp instead of the mixed soft fruits. Feel free to leave out the alcohol, I only add it when I it's on hand since it doesn't greatly affect the taste. I'm not too sure of the prep time and serving size so I've only written approximations. Enjoy!
- 450 g mixed soft fruit
- 15 ml gelatin powder
- 15 ml cornflour
- 2 egg yolks
- 75 g caster sugar
- 150 ml milk
- 30 ml Grand Marnier
- 300 ml double cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Blend fruits and remove pips.
- Soak gelatin in 3 tbsp water and leave to soak.
- Whisk cornflour, egg yolks, sugar and milk in a bowl till thick and pale.
- Heat remaining milk till almost boiling and then gradually pour on egg mixture, stirring constantly. Return to pan and cook, stirring, over a low heat until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in the softened gelatin till completely dissolved.
- Transfer to a large bowl and leave to cool slightly.
- Stir in the fruit puree and liqueur and leave to cool until the point of setting.
- Whip the cream until it just holds its shape, fold into the mousse.
- Refrigerate until the mousse has set.