Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Rhubarb and strawberries or raspberries are great combinations--screaming SUMMER! Here is a dessert that will bring a smile even in the midst of the heat and humidity--a trip to the berry patch will be worth the effort in the blazing sun! From *Taste of Home's* Feb-Mar '08 issue recipe cards....yummo! COOKING TIME INCLUDES CHILLING TIME--plan ahead!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 5 cups chopped rhubarb (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups whipping cream, WHIPPED, divided
- brown sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350; grease a 13x9 pan; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine crust ingredients; press into prepared pan; bake for 18-20 minutes (golden brown); cool.
- In a large sauce pan, combine sugar & cornstarch; stir in rhubarb; bring to a boil (medium heat), stirring often; reduce heat, cook & stir for 4-5 more minutes --thickened; remove from heat, cool.
- Stir in strawberries; set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and powdered sugar (smooth); fold in one cup of the WHIPPED cream; spread over crust; top with rhubarb-berry mixture; spread with with remaining whipped cream.
- Chill for 3-4 hours before serving.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of brown sugar if desired.
Delicious. I wanted a 'cool' dessert to take to the beach with us yesterday and chose this. Used frozen rhubarb and also stirred in a cup of frozen blueberries into the strawberries - this made it really pretty! Really liked the sweet cream cheese filling topped with the sweet/tart fruit. Like a cheesecake but a lot easier!