Recipe by ellie_
Delicious way to use summer fruits. Although you can use frozen fruits, I like to use fresh summer fruit in this cake. My favorites are peaches, apricots and plums. Original recipe was printed in Bon Appetit (August, 1981).
Top Review by Whisper
Yum! This cake is so moist and tasty. I used fresh peaches and plums, but omitted the coconut since I'm not a fan. The result was stupendous! I will certainly make this cake again.
- 2 cups flour (I use 1 cup white and 1 cup whole-wheat)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups summer fruit, chopped and drained (apricots, nectarines, peaches and plums are good, use a mixture if possible)
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 cup raisins
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- To make cake: Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
- Grease and flour 9x13-inch pan.
- Combine flour-salt in bowl.
- Beat eggs-vanilla in large bowl.
- Add flour mixture to egg mixture.
- Stir in remaining ingredients (fruit-raisins).
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or toothpick comes out clean.
- While cake is baking make glaze: Combine all glaze ingredients (sugar-baking soda) in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to boil and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in vanilla.
- When cake is done, remove from oven and poke entire surface of cake with a toothpick.
- Pour glaze over hot cake slowly.