Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Nasturtiums add a peppery taste to a green or mixed salad and a flash of contrasting color. This is an attractive summer salad, rich in vitamin C, and can be eaten as a first course or on its own. I use other summer flowers in bloom too(red clover, cosmos,marigolds,pinks,roses, etc.). In the ingredients, it says nasturtium petals, but I actually use whole flowers along with petals.
- 6 cups mixed lettuce leaves
- 35 fresh edible nasturtium petals
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil
- 1 teaspoon prepared French mustard
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- The nasturtium flowers should be fresh, unblemished and unsprayed. Do not wash them if possible, as the petals bruise easily. Check in the long horn at the back for insects and pick off the stem.
- Mix the flowers with the lettuce leaves.
- Shake the dressing ingredients together and mix with the salad just before serving. Serves 6.
A nice & light salad. I made serving for one using hazelnut oil in place of the walnut oil. This is a very simple salad it would be nice topped with some toasted nuts or cheese for some protien. But it was great!