1/1 Photo of Summer Farro (Emmer) Salad
2 hrs 30 mins
Chandra M's Note:
This was my first experience using Farro (received it as a gift). It reminds me of barley, with a slightly wheat flavor. The amount of herbs used could be increased and varied to taste. I think I will add basil and mint next time. Cook time includes soaking time and cooling time. This is a great way to eat whole grains in the summer.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb whole farro
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 small cucumbers, chopped (I use seedless continental cukes, approx 1.5 cups)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 20 black olives, sliced
- crumbled feta, as a garnish (optional)
- 1Soak the farro in cold water for 30-60 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the vegetables.
- 2Drain farro and place in a large pot with 2 quarts water. Bring to a boil.
- 3Reduce to a simmer, and cook uncovered for 30 minutes.
- 4Drain the farro and rinse with cool water.
- 5In a large bowl, combine the oil, vinegar, herbs, and vegetables. Toss to coat.
- 6Gently stir in the farro until combined.
- 7Chill at least one hour. Serve with crumbled feta on top if desired.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Summer Farro (Emmer) Salad
Serving Size: 1 (82 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 61.1
- Calories from Fat 48
- Total Fat 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 99.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 0.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: